GATE 2016 – GATE or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is the All India Entrance Examination for admissions to the M.Tech, M.E courses at the IITs, NITs, other GFTIs and many private universities and institutes across the country. IISc Bangalore will be conducting GATE 2016 on January 30 & 31, 2016 as well as February 6 & 7, 2016. Candidates in their final year can also apply and appear for GATE 2016.
GATE will be organized by the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (IISc) and administered in association with the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) listed below on this page for the National Coordination Board – GATE, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Department of Higher Education and the Government of India.
Examination Name: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
Stream: Engineering, Technology and Architecture
Organizing Institute: Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (IISc)
Salient Features of GATE 2016
GATE 2016 Scores will be valid for Three years from the date of announcement of the GATE Results. All the supporting documents have to be sent online and hard copies will not be accepted. Application Fee has to be paid online via debit/ATM cards, credit cards or internet bankingor through E-challan. Random Biometric verification will be done for candidates before the examination.The exam will be held in 8 sessions on different dates as given with provision for a buffer session to be held in case of unforeseen circumstances.
What’s New in GATE 2016?
- Online Calculator- Candidates will have to use the online virtual calculator that will be provided during the exam. Physical calculators will not be allowed.
- Revised Syllabus- The GATE Syllabi has been revised. Candidates must check the revised GATE 2016 Syllabus for their preparation
- New Paper- A new Paper has been introduced from GATE 2016 namely Petroleum Engineering
- Provision of GATE Answer Key: The GATE 2016 Answer Key will be provided after the exam is over for candidates to check. They can challenge the GATE 2016 Answer Key on payment of a nominal fee for a specified period of time.
GATE 2016 Main Website: http://www.gate.iisc.ernet.in/
GATE 2016 Important Dates:
- Online Enrolment: from September 1, 2015
- Last Date for Online Application Submission: October 1, 2015 extended till October 8, 2015
- Request for Change in the Choice of City : By November 20, 2015
- Download of Admit Card: December 17, 2015 onwards
- GATE 2015 Examination: January 30 & 31, 2016 and February 6, 7, 2016Timings: Forenoon: 9.00 AM to 12.00 Noon, Afternoon: 2.00 PM to 5.00 PM
- Result Announcement: March 19, 2016
GATE 2016 Exam Mode: Online
GATE 2016 Exam Pattern:
The GATE Paper comprises of two types of questions – Multiple Choice Questions and Numerical Questions. Multiple Choice Questions will have a correct answer from four options given while Numerical Questions have to be calculated and answered with the help of of a keypad. The GATE 2016 Question Paper will be designed to test students on their comprehension and application skills, recall as well as analytical abilities.
Negative Marking: There will be Negative marking in GATE 2016 for the Multiple Choice Questions only. There will be a deduction of 1/3 marks for every wrong answer to a 1–mark multiple-choice question and 2/3 marks for every wrong answer to the 2 mark questions. There will be no negative marking for numerical questions.
GATE 2016 Application Procedure: Through the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS)
Candidates have to register first by providing a valid Email ID and a mobile number along with a password. Candidates will have to log in after registering. They must enter their personal details, qualification details and upload their photograph, signature and other specified documents.Candidates must then pay the Application Fees and print the Application after submitting the Application Form.
GATE 2016 Application Fee:
- General/OBC-NCL Male Candidates/Other Candidates: Rs 1500
- SC / ST / PwD/ Women Candidates: Rs 750
GATE 2016 Result: To be declared on March 19, 2016 at 5 pm
Candidates must log in to check their Result. They can know their scores and the qualifying marks for the respective papers. The GATE 2016 Score Card will be available for download from March 27, 2016 onwards till May 29, 2016.
GATE 2016 Counseling Process and Website:
Candidates will have to apply to the individual institutes/universities as per the admission notification of each institute/university. There is no common counselling for the IITs while admissions to the NITs are through the CCMT process.