The Department of Biological sciences and Bioengineering (BSBE) at IIT Kanpur was established in September 2001 with the aim of providing a multidisciplinary research and teaching program in modern biology and bioengineering. The department offers both undergraduate (B.Tech) and postgraduate programs (M.Tech and Ph.D) and the faculty conduct research in diverse areas of basic and applied biology. Research interests of the department include cell & molecular biology, genetics & developmental biology, structural & computational biology, Bioinformatics, bioremediation, tissue engineering and bioprocess engineering. The department has developed extensive research facility and infrastructure to support the teaching and research activities.
Courses offerred for Admissions:
- PhD Course
- Biological sciences & Bio-Engineering; Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering
Eligibility for Admissions:
- B.Tech/BS students from CFTIs (Centrally Funded Technical Institutes) having CPI of 7.5 or more and M.Sc. students from CFTIs having CPI of 7.0 or more are eligible to get admission and financial assistance in Ph.D program without GATE score. Students who are in final year of their programme (likely to finish the program by July 15, 2016) may also apply and secure provisional admission for the session commencing in July, 2016 (2016-17-I Semester).
- Those employed in an industry or a college/university/institute may apply for admission as a sponsored, external or part-time candidate. Further information on these category of admissions is available at : http://www.iitk.ac.in/doaaold/DOAA/implinks20152.htm
How to Apply
- All applications for admission for PhD in IIT Kanpur are to be sent by post. There is no provision for online submission of application forms.
- Download the Application Form (common form for Ph.D. and MS (Research)) from: http://www.iitk.ac.in/doaaold/DOAA/implinks20152.htm
- PhD applicants must submit two letters of reference letters as well. The reference letters can directly be sent by the referees to the DPGC (Department Post Graduate Committee) convener of the concerned department or they can also be sent in a sealed envelope along with the application form. The Reference forms can be downloaded from the link: http://www.iitk.ac.in/doaaold/DOAA/implinks20152.htm
- Send all the above material along with self-attested copies of certificates (see the application form for list of certificates required) and demand draft to the concerned department (for information about concerned department and the address where application form is to be sent, visit: http://www.iitk.ac.in/doaaold/DOAA/implinks20152.htm
Application Fee: The application fee is Rs.400 for General and OBC candidates and Rs.200 for SC/ST and all PD candidates (including General and OBC). The application fee is waived for ‘Foreign National’ candidates. The fee must be paid through a demand draft in favour of ‘The Registrar, IIT Kanpur and payable at Kanpur.