The European Molecular Biology Laboratory seeking to recruit a Scientific Database Curator to join the Protein Function Content Team which is part of the Universal Protein Resource (UniProt) at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
- The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level in life science and will have a broad knowledge in biochemistry and/or molecular biology. A higher degree (MSc/PhD) and/or relevant post-graduate experience will be very desirable.
- Several years experience in the experimental investigation of proteins
- Previous experience in using Windows and biological databases.
- In addition to the above, previous database curation and/or editorial experience is advantageous, but not essential, as full training will be provided
- The successful candidate must be detail-oriented and must be able to quickly and accurately interpret scientific data and literature. You will work closely with other team members, other EMBL-EBI groups and our international collaborators, the ideal candidate will therefore possess excellent communication and organisational skills in order to interact well under time pressure within a team of software developers, biologists and with external international partners.
|Employer||European Molecular Biology Laboratory|
- The extraction of experimental protein data from the scientific literature and other databases
- The analysis and annotation of protein sequences using a range of sequence analysis tools
- The interaction with the Protein Function Development team’s software engineers to work on the improvement of the database(s) contents and services, and outreach to our scientific communities.
Deadline : 3-Apr-2016
Founded in 1974, EMBL is Europe’s flagship laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation with more than 80 independent research groups covering the spectrum of molecular biology. It operates across five sites: Heidelberg, Hamburg, Grenoble, Monterotondo and EMBL-EBI Hinxton. The EBI is part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and it is a world-leading bioinformatics centre providing biological data to the scientific community with expertise in data storage, analysis and representation. EMBL-EBI provides freely available data from life science experiments, performs basic research in computational biology and offers an extensive user training programme, supporting researchers in academic and industry.