The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropic ICRISAT is seeking applications from a dynamic and highly innovative forward breeding expert for position of Senior Scientist to undertake assignment on modernization of ICRISAT breeding programs by deploying the modern breeding approaches in ICRISAT mandate tropics as well as assisting the breeding programs of other key CGIAR centres. The incumbent will be based at ICRISAT Headquarters in Patancheru, Telangana in India.
- Ph.D. in Genetics / Plant Breeding / Biotechnology / Plant Science or related discipline with at least 5 years of research experience in the field of applied genomics and modern breeding for crop improvement.
- The candidate should have experience of use of markers in the crop improvement program and should be well aware about the recent development in the marker genotyping technologies.
- Ideal candidate should be well equipped with the forward breeding approaches, latest genotyping technologies, trait mapping, molecular breeding approaches (genomic selection, marker-assisted backcrossing), and computational tools.
- Preference will be given to candidate with industry background and working experience with large number of partners across the world.
- The job involves working in inter-disciplinary team in multicultural and multinational environment and the ability to interact with partner organizations. Fluency in spoken and written English is essential.
|Employer||International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropic ICRISAT|
- Evaluate the utility of modern breeding approaches to enhance the rate of genetic gain
- Coordinate deployment of forward breeding across ICRISAT mandate crops as well as other key CGIAR centres like CIMMYT, IRRI, IITA, CIAT, etc.
- Deploy the use of markers for selecting desirable lines in breeding programs
- Optimizing and utilizing genomic information for breeding
- Handling logistics for and actively participating in workshops, meetings
- Fund raising through development of research projects in collaboration where possible, with partners. Compiling and analysis of results and writing reports, and Writing research papers, guide students/ research technicians/ and participate in organizing workshops/ training programmes and capacity‐building activities.
Applicants should apply on or before 19th February 2015, with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics is home to over 2 billion people, with 650 million of these being the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable Agriculture.ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium.