The Translational Health Science and Technology Institute (THSTI) is a part of the inter-disciplinary Biotech Science Cluster at Faridabad in the National Capital Region. THSTI is designed to be a dynamic and interactive organization with a mission to conduct innovative translational research across disciplines and professions to accelerate the development of concepts into tangible products to improve human health. THSTI is a recognized R&D institute of the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi to offer doctoral programs in biomedical and clinical research tracks.
PhD Biomedical and Clinical Research Admission for Academic Year 2015:
Applications are invited for the THSTI-JNU PhD Biomedical and Clinical Research program. The broad domains of ongoing research are:
- Biology of infectious diseases such as dengue, Japanese encephalitis, hepatitis E and tuberculosis, vaccine and anti-viral development
- Physiology of nutrition and the developing immune system, immune responses in pregnancy and childhood
- Clinical research and epidemiology focused on maternal and child health
- Auto-immune diseases, infection and inflammation
- Understanding disease through the human microbiome
- Diagnostics and therapeutics
- Medical devices and implants
- Mathematical modelling to understand biological problems
- Biology of metabolic syndrome and disease progression dynamics
- Candidate must have Master’s degree inany branch of life science (including biomedical, health, pharmaceutical, nutritional science, public health, or nursing), veterinary science, engineering, mathematics, or a medical degree (MBBS, BDS, or equivalent) from a recognized university.
- Candidate must have scored 60% or higher marks in all examinations and 55% or higher marks in their qualifying examination. Except for candidates with medical or allied background (MBBS, BDS, or equivalent) and those with Master’s degree in public health, nutrition, and nursing, all others must have qualified the junior research fellowship examination of CSIR, UGC, ICMR, NBHM or DBT (category I only).
- Candidates with medical or allied background (MBBS, BDS, or equivalent) or those with Master’s degree in public health, nutrition, and nursing, without a research fellowship will be required to appear in an objective type THSTI fellowship eligibility test to be conducted at THSTI in Faridabad on 22nd June 2015.
- Candidates appearing in the finals of their qualifying examination may also apply. However, they will be required to fulfil the necessary academic/ fellowship requirements at the time of joining the institute.
- SC/ST/PWD candidates who have qualified a junior research fellowship examination and passed and/or appearing in the qualifying examination are eligible to apply for admission irrespective of their percentage of marks. Similarly, SC/ST/PWD candidates with medical or allied background having passed or appearing in the qualifying examination are allowed to take the THSTI fellowship eligibility test irrespective of their percentage of marks.
Selection procedure: Applicants fulfilling the above essential criteria and those shortlisted based on their merit in the THSTI fellowship eligibility test conducted by THSTI will be interviewed 23rd June 2015 onwards. The final selection will be made based on applicant’s performance in the interview and the list of selected candidates will be published on THSTI website by 9 PM on 24th June 2015. Selected candidates should interact with potential PhD supervisors and provide their choice of supervisors by 4 PM on 26th June 2015. Final allotment of supervisors shall be made based on choices exercised by both the students and the supervisors.
Fellowship: Students recommended for admission to the PhD program and holding fellowship from any of the above agencies will be required to utilize their own fellowship. Candidates selected through the THSTI fellowship eligibility test will be awarded THSTI fellowship as per the Govt. of India rules as applicable in this regard.
No. of seats: The total number of seats available is 30. However, the number of selected candidates may vary as per the suitability and actual requirement at the time of selection.
Application procedure: Candidates fulfilling the above requirements may apply online. Please take a print out of the application, sign it and send it to the Dean (Academics) of the institute at the above address along with the application fee so as to reach latest by 10th June 2015. Applications received after the closing date will not be entertained on any ground including postal delay. Incomplete applications in any respect will be summarily rejected and no correspondence in this regard will be entertained.
Application fee: Non-refundable application fee of Rs. 500 for General and OBC candidates, and Rs. 250 for SC/ST/PWD candidates should be paid by bank draft in favor of Translational Health Science and Technology Institute payable at Gurgaon.